1. Establishing expectations– Making rules.
2. Giving instructions– Telling students what to do.
3. Waiting and scanning- Stopping to assess what is happening.
4. Cueing with parallel acknowledgement- Praising a particular student to prompt others.
5. Body language encouraging- Smiling, nodding, gesturing and moving near.
6. Descriptive encouraging- Praise describing behaviour.
7. Selective attending- Not obviously reacting to certain behaviours.
8. Redirecting to the learning- Prompting on-task behaviour.
9. Giving a choice- Describing the student’s options and likely consequences of their behaviour.
10. Following through- Doing what you said you would.